CHECKPOINT CHALLENGE 6 HOUR RACE
Event Date: Saturday June 5, 2021. This event starts and finishes in Mammoth Lakes.
Start Time: 7:00am PDT
End Time: 2:00pm PDT
Registration Limit: 100 spots
Price: $100.00 Race Fee + $6.80 SignUp Fee ($10 per person team discount (the bigger your team the more you save)
Registration: Price increases to $120.00 after April 1, 2021 at 11:59pm PDT until May 30th
Partners or solos & teams jump into an introduction to Adventure Racing featuring hiking, biking, kayaking and orienteering.
Collect checkpoints on a kayaking, mountain biking, and trekking challenge, condensing a month’s worth of adventure into a short expedition through California’s beautiful backcountry. See some beautiful terrain and make lifetime memories!
What to Expect:
- 2 to 4 miles of kayaking/SUP
- 10-15 miles of mountain biking on road, single track and fire roads
- 5 to 10 miles of trail running
- 50′-70′ Rappel (canceled)
- 50-100m of swimming
- Navigation/Orienteering (Map and Compass)
- Race entry
- Continuous (1:24,000) waterproof topographical course map
- Pre-Race Clinic
- Epic memories
- Finisher prize
- Race SWAG
IMPORTANT INFORMATION – PLEASE READ PRIOR TO REGISTRATION
COVID 19 INFORMATION
Due to Covid-19 this event, like all events in the state may be canceled or postponed. We are hopeful that by June 2021 things will return to some normalcy. However, if this event is canceled due to Covid-19 we will refund your registration. This does not include runsignup.com’s fees. Due to this unknown if you are traveling from out of the area please consider getting refundable reservations for hotels, flights rentals, etc.
The Covid-19 landscape is ever changing so it is impossible to predict what the regulations will be like race day. However, the following regulations will most likely be in place unless the situation is significantly better by June.
- A Covid-19 self-exam will be completed at check in. If you are experiencing any Covid like symptoms you will not be permitted to participate.
- Your temperature will be taken at check in. Temperatures above 99 degrees will not be permitted to participate.
- Masks will be mandated whenever people are in close proximity.
- A six foot distance or grater will be maintained from all people not in the persons “Pod”
- No sharing of food or drinks outside of a person’s pod will be permitted.
- Hand sanitizer and handwashing stations will be available at all transition areas and staffed checkpoints.
- Compliance with the above and any additional regulations that are mandated by Inyo, Mono County, The State of California, The Federal Government or any other agency we are working with must be followed or you will be disqualified from the event.
The Checkpoint Challenge is designed to challenge the elite athlete but remain achievable for the novice off-the-couch participant. As with most things, the more prepared you are the better your experience will be. Before starting any training program consult a medical professional about potential risks involved.
The following gear is the minimum gear required for safe travel during the race. Teams are free to bring any additional items they feel necessary provided they are not on the list of prohibited equipment.
Please keep in mind that there are no aid stations. All food and water must be carried by participants. It’s possible to stage food, water and gear in the transition areas.
To be shared during the race (or mandatory for solo racers)
- Pen or pencil
- Map (Provided)
- Passport (Provided)
- Race Bib (Provided)
MOUNTAIN BIKING GEAR
- Approved Mountain Bike* & Gear
Per person, to be carried during all mountain bike sections
You should have experience with real mountain biking, not just dirt roads, if you want a good experience.
Check out Spinlister.com to rent a rig if you do have experience.
- Snell or ANSI approved bike helmet
- Spare tube, patch kit
- Bike pump/CO2 (1 per team)
- Tire irons (1 per team)
- Bike multi-tool (1 per team)
*Bikes may be inspected at registration to ensure they are in good repair and recently tuned with reasonably new brake pads. All bikes must be approved by a race official to be used during the race. Cyclocross, road or tandem bikes will not be allowed.
CLIMBING GEAR (Unfortunately due to some permit issues we will not have a rappel at this years race) we will come up with a no gear alternative challenge)
KAYAKING GEAR (PROVIDED BY RACE)
- Kayak (provided)
- Coast Guard Approved PFD (provided)
- Paddle (provided)
- Additional dry clothing
- Warm clothing for after the race
- Water Treatment or water filter
- Motorized equipment
- Two way radios
- Controlled Substances (prescribed medication is acceptable)
THE FINE PRINT – PLEASE READ!
We will be sending out a detailed gear list and introduction email a few weeks out (and a few days out) from the event.
If you do not receive it, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to withdraw from an event you may receive an event credit to a future All Out event.
You must notify us via email at email@example.com of your intent to withdraw and meet one of the following scenarios.
1) You notify All Out Events more than 30 days prior to the start of an event weekend of your withdrawal you will receive a 100% credit towards a future event.. This credit only covers the race entry fee. Processing fees and online registration fees will not be included with your credit.
2) If you have a medical reason, you will need to provide a signed doctor’s letter advising us that you are not able to compete. This letter must be received by All Out Events at least 14 days prior to the event weekend in order for you to receive your event credit. This credit only covers the race entry fee. Processing fees and online registration fees will not be included in your credit.
If you have an injury or a member of your immediate family has a death or a medical emergency and it is within 14 days of the scheduled event yet greater than 72 hours prior to the event, you will need to notify us in writing. The race director will consider each request on a case by case basis after the event, for future All Out event credit. No credits will be issued with less than 72 hours prior written notice to event weekend.
** Returned checks or declined credit cards will incur a $20 processing fee Event Weekend- This is the day that on-site packet pick-up begins at the event. Normally, this is at least one day prior to the first race of the weekend. All written cancellation notifications to All Out Events are based on this packet pick-up date.
If you have a credit, it does not guarantee your entry into a race. You must still register prior to the event being sold out as all registrations are on a first come first served basis. These credits expire one year from issuing event. Transferring Race Entries If an applicant would like to make a change at least 14 days prior to the event weekend, this refers to switching their entry from one wave to another within an event (if there are still slots available in each wave), they may do so, keeping in mind that a processing fee will be included in that decision. The processing fee to perform a switch from one wave to another within the same event is $20.00. Thank you for respecting our policy. Participants found running under another person’s name will be disqualified and both entrants may be suspended from all events for 1 year.
All Out Events does not accept responsibility for refunds or cancellations in the event of natural or national emergencies or changes in governmental policies affecting the event course. Natural emergencies may include, but are not limited to severe weather including heavy rain, flooding, heat spells and cold spells. National or international emergencies may include, but are not limited to military conflicts, terrorist attacks, security threats, war, and heightened security alerts. In such event, there would be no refund to participants nor any reimbursement for event related expenses incurred by participants.